Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bigots of the World, Unite!

Entertainment Weekly has pulled an interview with Mr. Mel Gibson (his own self).

Overall the interview is well done and somewhat thoughtful. I'd never claim Mel isn't smart, I'd just claim that clearly he should lay off the fire water. Here are a few of the choice bits though:

Do you feel you've done enough apologizing for your anti-Semitic remarks?
"Those were the ravings of an inebriated, angry person. I don't know. I think publicly I have done enough."
Hey, newsflash, that person was you. You are angry, were inebriated, raved. I'm sick of people saying "It was the anger talking." That anger is you fella, take responsibility and say "I'm an angry guy and that's something I battle with." Who is this third person you speak of?
People won't really refuse to work with you?
"No, people aren't like that. Those are just headlines: Mel Ostracized by Hollywood! Hollywood is what you make it."
I can tell you based on my experience in the industry that most people don't take moral stands. If Mel had come out the next day and said "I believe my statements were correct," he'd still have work. He owns a production company for God's sake, he has an Oscar. There is one thing Hollywood values above your personal life and views. Money. Cold hard cash, and Mel has a history of delivering it. Thus, short of raping a goat in front of the Hollywood sign, someone will always want to work with him, no matter the religious affiliation.

Here's some sympathy from Mel:
"I felt like sending Michael Richards a note. I feel really badly for the guy. He was obviously in a state of stress."
He should feel bad for Richards. Richards is proper fucked, unlike Mel. Why? He hasn't delivered the money in eight years, and even then it was with an ensemble. Now producers can take a moral stand because it's fiscally prudent (channeling George Bush I).
I now return you to typical Hollywood softball mumbo-jumbo:
Can you teach anybody to act?
"Yeah. It's about breathing."
For the record I have no problem separating the art from the artist. Bad people make great films sometimes, sweethearts can make stinkbombs. Braveheart was a great film. But you should be aware that Apocalypto is not a good film. Uber not-goodness. What it is an extremely heavy handed metaphor wrapped up in a very weak story. Boring, silly, pointless. Other than that I loved it. Make sure you see it.